Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnAdvice for an incoming freshman?

# of Responses: 5

Posted 8 months ago by itsaplit

I'll be starting college next year and I'm excited but also pretty nervous - any of you wise college kids have advice? ^.^  About what to bring, dealing with roommaties, homesickness, etc

Time management is just as important, if not more, than it was in high school. It may seem like you have more free time at first, but it's very easy for you to severely overestimate how much time you actually have to do something until its too late.

Posted 8 months ago by IgorBogdanoff

Going off of what the above poster stated, make good use of your time. Even if you have more time outside of class than in high school, make sure that time isn't being wasted. Use that time not only to study but also get involved with extracurriculars, internships, part-time jobs, whatever benefits your future career. Of course, use some of that time to have fun as well and have a social life. You'll get burnt out if you don't have some fun as well. Good Luck! It'll be a fune ride. Also, make sure you try your best to have a high GPA coming our of freshman year. It only gets harder from there and you want to have a good foundation. GPA is important for pretty much all subjects, even engineering because it helps you get good internships. 

Posted 8 months ago by formerIBstudent

The social aspect, in my opinion, is a huge learning curve. You've likely had a lot of freedom in high school. This is almost complete independence. It's going to feel great, but like others have said, that comes with more responsibility (time management). 

You're also being thrown into said independence with a bunch of other people. Social life is really interesting. If you weren't cool in high school, that could change overnight in college. (I experienced this.)

Posted 8 months ago by renaime

Oh, another thing that just occured to me: make sure that you are 100% on track towards finishing your degree. What I mean by that is make sure that you know what classes you need to take to get your AA, especially if you want to complete it in the regular timeframe of 2 years.

Posted 8 months ago by IgorBogdanoff

Thank you all for the advice!  Much appreciated.

Posted 8 months ago by itsaplit

close