Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnAP Lang or AP Lit?

# of Responses: 12

Posted 6 months ago by tcme

What are the pros and cons of the two of them? I only have the opportunity to take one.

I don't really remember that much from the classes, other than that Lit had a lot more poetry. Honestly, I always thought that AP Lit required AP Lang as a prerequisite. Are you sure that isn't the case for you?

Posted 6 months ago by IgorBogdanoff

AP lit and Lang are different and aren't prequistes of one another. I took AP lit and it basically involves the analysis of poems, novels and short stories. It's basically harder reading comprehension. You also have to write essays after analyzing the poems and stories.

Posted 6 months ago by formerIBstudent

AP Lang is a lot more about grammar and English writing style. I haven't taken it but ask me any questions about AP lit and I can help you.

Huh today I learned. I took both but, like I said, I only really remember that Lit was more about poetry. Both will require analytical essays, but I think Lang is about the writing styles whereas Lit is more about interpretation of intent. Its been a while so im probably mixing stuff up tbh.

Posted 6 months ago by IgorBogdanoff

I mean maybe the high school you went to set it up so that you have to take Lang before you take lit. But the APs themselves are independent.

They are completely different. Lang can get too "technical" after a while and lit can be a little more fun. I got a bit bored on lit though having to watch long xxx plays.

Posted 6 months ago by miniwhopee

They're pretty similar, imo.  I would base your decision off of whether you prefer fiction or nonfiction, as well as which class has a better teacher ^.^

Posted 6 months ago by itsaplit

I prefer Lang, helped me become a better writer

Posted 6 months ago by Math

I also preferred Lang. 

Posted 6 months ago by renaime

I'd like to add that AP language is probably more useful in the long run because it teaches you the technical aspects of writing and writing is important no matter what career you go into.

I liked AP lit a lot but I think a lot of that had to do with having a really awesome teacher

Posted 6 months ago by townsendsk

I only took Lit and it wasn't too bad

Posted 5 months ago by wknoll

close