Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnDifferences between Old and New SAT?

# of Responses: 7

Posted 2 months ago by IgorBogdanoff

I graduated HS in 2016, so I think I was one of the last groups of people to take the Old SAT. IIRC I got a 2010. Now, I don't intend on taking it again now that I'm in college, but I was just curious about the differences on the exam. Like, I know about the point difference, but I want to know if there is any significant content differences? More/less math, harder/easier reading comprehension questions, etc.

This was posted earlier but one important difference is the removal of the penalty for getting a wrong answer. This pretty means guessing is completely fine. This should also increase scores and make it a little easier. However I read they made the sections more In depth which balances it out. The essay is now optional but you have like 50 minutes to do it so it's a bit more serious.

Posted 2 months ago by formerIBstudent

Well that's interesting. I kinda wonder if I missed out on that now, but ah well.

I wish I had had the opportunity to take both and compare.

Posted 2 months ago by renaime

New one has sections that are more in depth and a longer essay (though it's optional). However, there are no more penalties for guessing (incorrectly).

Posted 2 months ago by tcme

Well that's interesting. Looks like they tried to make it more like the ACT with the optional essay and lack of guessing penalties. I kinda wonder why tbh.

They changed the sat because people didn't like the ambiguous and overly convoluted  nature of the test. The act was far more straight forward and actually became more popular than sat (more people took it). So they changed it to be a little more like Act.

Posted 2 months ago by formerIBstudent

Did they still keep that horrible section where you had to define some really really obscure words? Hated that stuff.

close