Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnYou CAN skip your Senior year of HS

# of Responses: 13

Posted 8 months ago by renaime

If you're like me, you took the ACT and SAT junior year, and were planning your senior year classes, and just were fed up.

I only had two credits left, but my school didn't allow me to take them early. 

So I got my GED. 

There's some stigma around getting your GED, but I'm here to tell you that that's often unfounded. Colleges are willing to accept hard-working and mature students who are ready to move onto the next phase. 

They still will look at your HS grades, so don't just give up on that, but you can jumpstart your college education.

(GED is time consuming but really easy. I've never been good at math, and I got honors math.)

Honestly, I don't think graduating early is all that worth it. Did you have the opportunity to take some AP classes cause it could've given you credit for college. Also, rushing into college early just costs money while high school is pretty much free.

Posted 8 months ago by formerIBstudent

Good on you for going through. I hope to graduate early but I also want time to Mature and just enjoy life a bit more.

Posted 8 months ago by Math

I feel like there growing up too quickly may not be the best choice. After all, you can only be a teenager once.

Posted 8 months ago by emily

@formerIBstudent, I actually did take AP classes, but unfortunately my college only accepts 5s, and 4s in classes I didn't take. I also was at a private school, so between scholarships for the two, college wasn't much more expensive.

@Math & @emily It's definitely not the best option for everyone! For me, I felt ready to move forward. I was also older for my grade, so that may have had an effect.

I'm glad it worked out for you, what could be beneficial for anyone reading these posts is to check out whether the school you want to go to has a program that accepts you as a high school senior.  I know of a few schools that do this, they finish up your highschool education while also giving you the freshman education at the same time. 

Posted 8 months ago by Aliphos

Yea I suppose if you went to a private, your situation might be different. I still think that, generally, people shouldn't rush to grow up and move on. There are certain things and experiences that you end up missing but moving forward too fast. However, I'm glad it worked out for you.

xxxx. As a High school senior and I am about to graduate, I don't think I am even going to past. Assuming I do pass all my other classes, Math always xxxx me up. Like... I'm taking Algebra 2 and Geometry (I know I know, call me dumb) but something is hard about that xxxx. At least you're not as bad as me when it comes to Math

Posted 8 months ago by ThatRandomGuy

Don't worry, people have different strengths and weaknesses. If you need any help with math, Feel free to post any concepts or problems you're having trouble with and we can help you. Khan academy is another helpful resource.

I skipped my senior year of high school. I only needed English to graduate, and wasn't looking forward to 6 study halls. I took English by corrospondence, and started college a year early.

Posted 8 months ago by Susienando

Well technically but I wouldn't want to even if I had the option. Aside from education High School is an experience and if you miss out on senior year you miss out on a lot.

Posted 8 months ago by miniwhopee

I understand wanting to get out of HS early. My experience wasn't that great. I wish I could have left early.

Posted 8 months ago by tcme

Honestly, I was fine with going through the 4 years. I actually thought it got better towards the end. Still, I was more than happy to get out, turns out I like college much much more.

Posted 8 months ago by IgorBogdanoff

close