Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnJust some questions about the SAT

# of Responses: 2

Posted 2 months ago by survivorfeliciano

I'm not really familiar on how the SAT works for college admissons. I recently took the PSAT 10, and was wondering if anyone could compare it to that.

Also, what are the new and old SATs and SAT subject tests? Should I take specific ones?

Thanks

So the PSAT is pretty Much a miniature version of the SAT. All of the sections you took will be the same but there will be multiple ones. One of the two standardized tests (sat or act) is required by most colleges. Some even require both. Some prestigious colleges also require certain sat subject tests; check to make sure. The subject tests are not like the PSAT or sat. They are more specific and obviously pertain to the subject they are testing. They don't involve reading comprehension or grammar but just knowledge and application of the subject they test for. The sat and act both test general mathematics, reading comprehension and grammar and writing skills. The math or reading doesn't get too intensive in terms of level but it can be complicated. I'm actually not too sure about the new test but you can look up differences (i don't believe that they are that different). As for studying for these tests, I recommend buying the official collegeboard sat practice book because the practice tests they have are the closest to the real sat (they make and administer the test). Review your basic math and reading skills and also try to memorize some vocabulary words from online. Then practice. Just practice practice practice. Doing those tests and sections will give you the best idea of how the test will be. I cannot stress this enough. Practice is the most important part of studying for the sat. You can also look at the act if you're interested. I can talk more about it if you want.

Posted 2 months ago by formerIBstudent

Wow, @formerIBstudent really covered it! PSAT literally stands for Practice SAT, so it's just an abbreviated version!

Posted 2 months ago by tcme

close