Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnIs pulling all-nighters a good idea?

# of Responses: 8

Posted 8 months ago by shoshura

Hey guys, I wanted to hear what experience you've had with all-nighters, it seems like that's the way all of my classmates deal with finals but I haven't had the guts to try it, I don't know if I would work well under that type of pressure. Do you? If so, do you have any tips for a newbie like me?

Honestly, all nighters are not for everyone. Some people can handle the exhaustion but others just collapse. I've taken tests with like 3 hours of sleep and did well but no sleep at all would exhaust me. Have you tried working with 0 hours of sleep before? If it didn't work for you, then that's your answer. If you just manage your time, you can get an immense amount of work in a few days and get sleep. At least get 5 hours of sleep I would say. I don't recommend all nighters. 

Posted 8 months ago by formerIBstudent

I have pulled a couple of all nighters actually and I absolutely hated them just so you know.

Posted 8 months ago by formerIBstudent

The few allnighters I pulled were terrible.  I felt so bad during the test, and although I knew all the information I just couldn't bring myself to focus enough to answer all the questions.  Never doing it again.

Posted 8 months ago by Aliphos

Ahhh I'm glad to hear that others haven't had good experiences with it! I felt like I was behind our something, I'm still gonna try it out once and see how it goes, but thank you for the advice

Posted 8 months ago by shoshura

I wouldn't recommend it. Tried it for midterms last semester, and I actually felt my focus deteriorating as the day went on and my later test scores were actually worse and they were easier classes. 

Posted 8 months ago by survivorfeliciano

All-nighters are absolutely the worst if your body can't function on six hours of sleep per night or less. I can easily pull all-nighters, but they are not exactly enjoyable. Granted, I do suffer constantly from insonmia, so that helps me stay up for tests.

It actually is more harmful to do a giant cram session before a major test than it is more helpful. Always break up your study intervals and try to reduce the stress as much as possible. It will make the test that much easier.

Posted 8 months ago by anadrotowski

It depends from people to people. Personally I can easily and effectively do it with a good amount of caffeine in my system. However there are a lot of side effects and the pros doesn't always outwiegh the cons.

I remember making a habit out of it and during one finals I had lost so much sleep that I had developed a form of insomnia. Due to disruptive sleeping habits I found it much harder to fall asleep for around a month after my exams were over. I do it less frequently now but once in a while I believe an all nighter is not a bad idea at all if you do not have any existing conditions.

Posted 8 months ago by miniwhopee

It's really not worth it. The exhaustion for the next two days is hell.

Posted 8 months ago by renaime

close