Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnIs SAT prep courses worth it?

# of Responses: 8

Posted 8 months ago by townsendsk

I am trying to decide if I should do an SAT prep course or just buying a book and studying myself. I like the idea of a prep course but they seem really expensive! 

Honestly, I always felt like studying on my own was the best strategy for the sat/act. It allowed to move at my own pace, whether that be faster or slower. The best way to study for these tests is just doing a lot of practice tests. Review the basics and then practice. Get the official book from college board because their practice tests are very similar to the real. You can also find old tests online.

Posted 8 months ago by formerIBstudent

Also try the Kaplan book for the ACT if you ever decide to take that. It was very helpful.

Posted 8 months ago by formerIBstudent

What you should do is take a practice test without any studying and see how well you do on it as a benchmark. If you are close to getting your desired score, I would say prep courses are not needed, however if you are far off. I would recommend going with a top prep course to learn missing material. Hope this helps.

Posted 8 months ago by emily

Depends on you honestly. I had enroleed in a course because most of my friends did but honestly after a while I realized I would be better off studying on my own. They can definitely be helpful if  you can manage to find the right courses but I would pref studying on my own but thats just me.

Posted 8 months ago by miniwhopee

I've always found that the SAT Prep offered by the school was completely worthless but that was just my experience with it.  Other prep classes were better but I just never felt like they were helping me much.

Posted 8 months ago by Aliphos

Make your own research, not all of them are the same

Posted 8 months ago by shoshura

You can try out Kabir's Prep

Posted 8 months ago by theOwl

I agree with @Aliphos that SAT prep offered by schools isn't worth the time. I used a SAT test prep book my second time taking it, and it really improved my scores.

Posted 8 months ago by tcme

close