Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnWondering what AP classes to take next year

# of Responses: 11

Posted 4 months ago by survivorfeliciano

I am an incoming junior and am wondering what classes to take next year. Right now I took all regular classes and AP Chem.

The courses that I requested for junior year are:

AP Lit, AP Euro, AP USH, AP Bio, Honors Physics, Honors Pre-Calc, and Spanish 3.

Do you guys think that it is worth it to take this many hard classes and if you have taken these classes, what were your experiences in them?

If you can handle the academic workload, take as many AP classes as possible. Yes, you will work harder than your classmates but the time and money you save in college is HUGE. As for my experiences, I don't feel like they are anything more than an accelerated class.

Let me know if you have more questions. 

Posted 4 months ago by federertheking

Take every AP class you can. It is worth it and you don't want to be taking AP human geo when you lots of other stuff to do.

Posted 4 months ago by Math

I think it is a fairly intensive workload but definitely workable. It will require a lot of reading because you're taking two history courses, biology and english, all of which are reading intensive. Just make sure to manage your time. Also make sure you have time to focus on extracurriculars as well. As people above said, having credits coming into college is an incredible advantage. Don't underestimate how much money and time you can save with ap credit. You can do things like double major and still graduate within 4 years if you put in the work. 

Posted 4 months ago by formerIBstudent

That's definitely a lot, but it all depends on your particular abilities, your interests and what you think you can handle.  If you think it's too much, I would recommend dropping bio rather than doubling up on sciences.  You might also want to ask around at your school to see which classes are known to have the most intense workloads, as that may affect how reasonable that schedule is.

Posted 4 months ago by itsaplit

Hey, if you can handle it, go for it!

Keep in mind: APUSH and AP Bio are the two most difficult to get 4s and 5s in. So you're taking on a lot, but you seem more than capable. 

All my friends who took AP Lit loved it!

Posted 4 months ago by renaime

AP Bio is rough, but the APUSH exam isn't actually that hard. In my junior year, I took 4 APs and 3 honors (just like you), and still had enough time to participate in XC/winter/spring track, and my different academic clubs.

Junior year'll definitely teach you how to manage your time effectively, but it is definitely doable.

Good luck!

Posted 4 months ago by Sypfii

The Old APUSH Exam used to really hard and the course used to copy a vary broad topic base. However with the new exam, you will be happily suprised.

Posted 4 months ago by Charly123

If you live near a community college you should check and see if they offer any of those subjects online. I would keep the AP Chemistry, but try to take History, English, etc at a community college. Take a regular English class at high school and one semester of English at a community college. It will count as a 5th year of English which looks great for college applications. If you go to a state university the community college units will be transferrable so just as beneficial as AP tests. 

Science classes are hard to take while still in high school so I would do that over the summer if you are interested or if they are offered. If not, stick with AP for those. At the very least you should take at least one community college class over the summer. Even if it is a simple elective. It will be something on college applications that sets you apart from other students. 

Posted 4 months ago by ZeeGee

Honestly, if you can handle it, do it. Personally, I wouldn't be able to take that on, but you know what you're capable of best. That is a HEAVY course load though.

Posted 4 months ago by tcme

If you have an idea of what major you want to go into, and what classes you will need for said major, then take a look at what AP courses would cover classes needed for the AA in your major. That being said, it varies from college to college, and it's not really expected of you to be sure of what you want to do in life just yet. However, from personal experience I would recommend AP Calc AB and maybe BC if you are going into a STEM field.

Posted 4 months ago by IgorBogdanoff

I never felt like the AP's were that much extra work anyway

Posted 3 months ago by wknoll

close