Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnIs IB even helpful?

# of Responses: 4

Posted 4 months ago by ZeeGee

At the orientation for UC Berkeley last summer a lot of the students working the event said they regretted doing the IB program and said it wasn't helpful, cost too much money and wasn't worth it. It doesn't seem like IB students have better acceptance to good schools than students who take AP classes or even community college classes in high school. 

When I was doin the UC applications it seemed to me like taking college classes in high school and having a job would be better than just IB. Does anyone have any good stories? 

From personal experience, IB is fine if you really want to go to a university out of state or even out of country. Many of my friends who did not take IB were able to get into the colleges they wanted, and many who did take IB were rejected from their desired college. I was in IB classes and I wasn't accepted into my top school. 

Posted 4 months ago by Math

Yea IB isn't necessarily worth it for everyone. If you want to go abroad, it's very valuable. However, taking all APs can be just as useful.

Posted 4 months ago by formerIBstudent

I think it's still helpful but probably not more helpful than AP. I know someone who did IB back when he was in high school and his graduate program accepted both his IB and AP courses which meant he saved money in undergrad. 

Posted 4 months ago by federertheking

It's helpful for shaping your thinking. If you're worried about costs, idk if all schools offer this, but at mine, if you receive a reduced or free lunch cost, the fees are reduced to as low as $15 each. Plus it's way less expensive than what taking the college equivalent would be. 

Posted 4 months ago by blipsandchitz

close