Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnWhich SAT Subject Tests to take if ANY?

# of Responses: 5

Posted 2 months ago by jsauce

HElp.

I know in California Cal Poly and I think the UCs prefer 5 years of English. So you should probably at least take that subject test. It would be even better to take an English class at a community college before your senior year. 

Posted 2 months ago by ZeeGee

From what I've heard subject tests aren't worth taking unless you're planning on going to an Ivy League college. Generally they're the colleges who require them in the first place. An example of this would be Harvard and NYU. Harvard requires two subject tests, and NYU requires three.

If you absolutely must take a subject test I'd definitely recommend taking one that is relevant to your desired major or something that you know you will do well on. 

Posted 2 months ago by m4g1k4rp

Yea look at the colleges you want to apply to and that should give you an answer. I think basic ones like mathematics and English can apply to any college so maybe consider those subjects.

Posted 2 months ago by formerIBstudent

It depends partially on which classes you're taking, because you want to take tests that will line up with what you know, otherwise you'll do badly and there's not really any point!  But I think it usually doesn't matter which ones you take unless you're applying for a specific major, so check with the schools you're interested in applying to. 

Posted 2 months ago by itsaplit

Do you want to take subject tests? I don't really see a benefit to them unless, like @m4g1k4rp said, you're planning on applying to Ivies.

Posted 2 months ago by tcme

close