Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnNot sure which to take .. ACT or SAT?

# of Responses: 9

Posted 8 months ago by ahartzer2015

I know there was another post about this but ... I need advice . What do you guys think I should do? Should I just do both? 

If needed , my college degree that I want is in graphic design and marketing. 

I think the choice of test is as important as how well you do.

Posted 8 months ago by emily

Depends on what you think in excel in. ACT is a little more science oriented while SAT has pretty much no science involved. However, I found the math portion of the ACT far more straight foward than the SAT. I got a 35 on the ACT and 2120 on the SAT so feel free to ask for any study tips. 

Posted 8 months ago by formerIBstudent

I would honestly take both if possible. Even though colleges ask to send at least one score, sending some good scores from both exams would really improve your chances. I agree with the comment above about the logistics of the exams. I think the ACT is a lot more heavy on reading and the SAT math is a little more tricky. Other than that (and the science part in the ACT), the exams are pretty much the same. I got a 35 on the ACT and a 2250 on the SAT so ask me if you have any questions as well :)

Posted 8 months ago by jsauce

I'd definitely take both. I personally did better on the ACT the first time around yet I still kept retaking both tests. It doesn't hurt to keep retaking them or to take both repeatedly because the majority of schools superscore. 

Posted 8 months ago by m4g1k4rp

I highly, highly recommend taking both. Scoring well on both can look amazing on an application. Personally I found the ACT to be more straightforward and easy, but the SAT seems to be what lots of colleges look for. I recommend the ACT, personally.

Posted 8 months ago by Math

Seconding what math said - try to take both and then see which you do better on.  If you can't do that, at least look at practice questions from each and see which seems to be more along the lines of what you are good at.

Posted 8 months ago by itsaplit

If you like easier but more problems, go for the ACT. If you like less questions but harder, go for the SAT.

I only studied for the SAT but managed to do extremely worse on the SAT than the ACT. It's just whatever is better for you

Posted 8 months ago by Sypfii

ACT I've always found was easier to do just based on the fact it had a science section.  The SAT was harder but took less time.  So I guess it really depends on how much time you want to spend taking a test.

Posted 8 months ago by Aliphos

I say take both. There is no downside. If you don't like a score, than you can just not submit that one.

Posted 8 months ago by tcme

close