Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnSeriously, whats the point of AP Exams?

# of Responses: 14

Posted 4 months ago by Charly123

To save money in college!

Posted 4 months ago by garylewis

Couple of things

- To obtain college credit towards your degree. A lot of AP classes I took qualified as credits I could put towards my Bachelors (e.g. AP US History was a whopping six credits)

- AP Classes can place you out of prerequisite courses for Math and Sciences. AP Calculus BC counts for Calc I and Calc II at my Uni

- AP Classes can fulfill learning requirements such as electives in history, art, literature, science etc. I placed out of Foreign Language and History due to my AP scores. 

Hope this helps

Posted 4 months ago by kamakaz1

Seriously, as the comments above said, getting credit for AP classes in college is SUPER helpful, depending on what you want to do. Depending on the college you go to, you can get varying amount of credits for it. If you can get most of your pre-reqs out of the way, you can do things like double-major, which allows you to get two degrees for the price of one. Also, it helps boost your application to college. Good Luck. 

Posted 4 months ago by formerIBstudent

I know a lot of kids who went to UCs and their AP tests didn't even count. Especially engineering majors because they take different GE than everyone else. Many schools only give full credit for 5s. 

Posted 4 months ago by ZeeGee

I think I'd much rather just take classes at the local community college. If I'm not mistaken, they give you the same amount of credits and they save you the trouble of studying for and passing an AP test? 

Posted 4 months ago by m4g1k4rp

That may be true but for some people its extremely difficult to get to and from the local community college for school, I know for me I chose to take AP's instead because it was offered by my school and would be much more convinient for me.  The AP exam is essentially just a final in a college class so in a sense an AP class is just taking that class at the community college.

Posted 4 months ago by Aliphos

AP classes are A LOT more nonsense work than a community college class. Especially for courses like History, Econ, Government or English. If you do the work for community college classes you get the credit. To get the AP credit you have to pass the test with a 3 and many colleges only take 5s. 

Posted 4 months ago by ZeeGee

Only the top schools require a 5. In fact, some states are requiring their public institutions to give credit for a 3. Also, AP classes are in general cheaper.

Posted 4 months ago by mchen25

A 4 or 5 on an AP test often = 4 college credits = thousands of dollars saved 

Posted 4 months ago by federertheking

In addition to giving college credit, which a lot of people have said, it can boost your GPA.

Be careful if you're planning on attending a private institution, they often will not accept scores below a 3 - even for the hardest APs. 

Posted 4 months ago by renaime

Earn credit in college! And the classes are fun lol

Posted 4 months ago by theOwl

If you like being challenged, the classes are fun! It's also a bonus that you can get college credit for classes that are often required.

Posted 4 months ago by tcme

Like everyone else has been saying, college credits. Keep in mind that not every AP class credit will be useful, and some classes such as AP chem essentially require that you get a 5 on the exam for it to count towards any required college chemistry classes (anything below nets you some weird obscure class that really doesn't help with anything). However, some AP credits are extremely useful; for example, AP Calc AB will cover all math preqs and Calc 1. BC will cover all of what AB covers plus Calc 2. Saves you a lot of time from having to do algrebra through trig through precalc again.

Posted 4 months ago by IgorBogdanoff

I also agree with the college credit reasoning. But if you want good practice for college I'd suggest IB. The workload is way worse than some colleges, and the teaching style is supposed to be similar to college professors' class styles. 

Posted 4 months ago by blipsandchitz

close