Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnIs the ACT of SAT better for college Admissions?

# of Responses: 7

Posted 2 months ago by Juliet

I'm a junior trying to get into top tier colleges. I have scored a 35 on the ACT but I have been hearing that for the Ivies, the SAT is better. Should I take the SAT or just stick with my ACT score?

I don't think it matters Juliet. I mean, alot of people in my high school had perfect ACT and SAT scores and didn't get into the Ivies.

Posted 2 months ago by emily

It doesn't matter which one you use. A 35 is really good. Just use ACT and focus on GPA and/or extracurriculars instead. Also spend time on those college app essays. 

Posted 2 months ago by formerIBstudent

I know someone who got a perfect score on the ACT and didn't get into UC Berkeley but did get into UC Davis. It didn't seem like it helped him any more than SAT/ACT scores that were on the high end. It seems like colleges like to see work experience and college classes while in high school. Also 5 years of English. It would be ideal to take an English class at a community college over the summer. 

Posted 2 months ago by ZeeGee

ACT and SAT scores, while important, will not be enough to get you into colleges on their own. I suggest you spend time ensuring you're a well rounded candidate as well as workiing on your college essays. You want to make sure you're competitive in other areas or the tests won't mean as much!

Posted 2 months ago by m4g1k4rp

Do they accept ACT scores? If they do, don't sweat the other tests.

Posted 2 months ago by ceciliarae8

Pretty much everything @m4g1k4rp said

Posted 2 months ago by shoshura

I would honestly take them both. If you did so well on the ACT, I don't doubt that you'll do really well on the SAT.

Also, keep in mind what @m4g1k4rp said. Colleges really value unique candidates, so make sure your essays are good, you keep your GPA up, and that you have extracurriculars.

Posted 2 months ago by tcme

close