Get the help you need to ace your exams

Exam Owl gets you answers to your questions through a community of students just like yourself. Improve your performance on a variety of a variety of tests including AP, IB and standardized tests with a suite of test prep tools and community resources.

Ace your next exam, sign up below.

Communitycommunity Toolstools Resourcesresources

returnAP World Multiple Choice Prep

# of Responses: 9

Posted 5 months ago by heyDB12

Reaching out to AP world veterans, what methods do you guys advise when studying for the multiple choice test? For now I have been taking practice quizes and seeing what I'm missing but is there a more efficient way to answer a question more quickly instead of just simply knowing the course material?

I'm also in AP world history right now. What I find a good strategy for history tests is by process of elimination for the multiple choice. If you can eliminate one or two options right off the bat, then it will be more likely that you will deduce the right answer from the remaining options.

Going with above, to eliminate answers quickly, I use this strategy:

mentally group events together that are related. So if a term is unrelated, it can be automatically eliminated. And grouping events by time period. 

Hope this helps. Good luck to both of us on the exam.

Posted 5 months ago by Hussain

When I was studying for my world Exam last year, crash course history videos really worked well. You can find them readily on Youtube if you need.

Posted 2 months ago by Juliet

I love crash course history!

Posted 2 months ago by garylewis

For techniques, just look at the other comments up here. But for MC, i recommend using test prep guides. But don't use the prep guides for writing, as it changed a lot. 

Posted 2 months ago by yoboyscooter

Yea crash course is good. I used Barron's AP world history book and the practice multiple choice were harder than the actual AP questions so it was really good practice. 

Posted 2 months ago by formerIBstudent

The key is to remember what characteristics are associated with various civilizations and events rather than every date and event that occured. A lot of the questions are conceptual.

Posted 2 months ago by mchen25

Someone already said but process of elimination for every. single. question. Even if it's super easy. Go through the process and narrow it down, it might save you a few dumb errors on questions that you know. 

Posted 2 months ago by federertheking

I'm here to repeat what others have said! Crash Course history is the best! Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBDA2E52FB1EF80C9

Other than that, when taking the test, the process of elimination is best. If you can narrow it down, and then guess, you have a better chance. Good luck!

Posted 2 months ago by renaime

I've found test-prep books to be really great for me. I usually use Princeton Review books. Also, there are some great multiple-choice flashcards. I cannot remember the brand name, but I think they sell them at Barnes and Noble.

Posted 2 months ago by tcme

close